Getting your license: Who or what is a qualifier?

Posted on July 15, 2013 in Law & Business
Getting your license: Who or what is a qualifier?
Share This Article: 0 comments

If you're in the process of filling out your application for the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) exam, you may have come across the term "qualifier." If you're unsure about this term and how you should proceed, then this article may help clear up some things for you.

A qualifying individual or simply "qualifier" is the person listed on the CSLB’s records who meets the experience and examination requirements for the license. A qualifier is required for every classification on each license issued by the CSLB.

The qualifying individual for a license is responsible for the employer's (or principal's) construction operation.

Can the same person serve as the qualifier for more than one license?

A person may act as a qualifying individual for no more than three firms in any one-year period only if one of the following conditions exists:

1. There is a common ownership of at least 20 percent of the equity of each firm for which the person acts as a qualifier.

2. The additional firm is a subsidiary of or a joint venture with the first.

3. The majority of the partners or officers are the same.

If you have a Sole Proprietor business license, the qualifier may either be yourself or a Responsible Managing Employee (RME).

If you have a Partnership business license, your qualifier may be either one of the general partners designated as the qualifying partner, or the Responsible Managing Employee (RME).

If you have a Corporate business license, your qualifier may either be one of the officers who act as Responsible Managing Officer (RMO).

If your qualifying individual is a RME, he or she must be a bona fide employee of the firm. This means that the RME must be fully employed by the firm and actively involved in the operation of the business at least 32 hours per week or 80% of the total business operating hours per week, whichever is less.

These licenses will belong to the owner of the business, may it be a sole proprietorship, a partnership, or a corporation as it is registered with the Secretary of State or the combination of licensees in a joint venture.

Hopefully this article provided you with a basic understanding of RMO's and RME's. Stay tuned for more information on getting your contractors license.

You must be logged in to post a comment.